Config Backup

Questions, comments, or suggestions on how to improve the EnGarde Secure Linux community.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Config Backup

Postby RBH on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:16 am

Just something that occurred to me - how about a webtool function that tarred all of the config files up and then offered them for the user to download (gzipped, presumably)? An accompanying restore feature would be great for deploying several servers in similar configurations.
RBH

Re: Config Backup

Postby ryan on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:19 pm

RBH wrote:Just something that occurred to me - how about a webtool function that tarred all of the config files up and then offered them for the user to download (gzipped, presumably)? An accompanying restore feature would be great for deploying several servers in similar configurations.

Very difficult to do. You'd want to scrub sensitive data... but one persons sensitive data is one persons insensitive data. If you want to take a stab at it to right ahead, but I've always found scp and wget useful for sharing files, and rsync helpful for keeping files in sync across multiple servers with identical configurations.

My $.02. Have you searched Freshmeat and/or Sourceforge to see if there is already a beast like the one you've described? :)

-r
ryan
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions