SSH Install.

Questions, comments, or suggestions on how to improve the EnGarde Secure Linux community.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

SSH Install.

Postby RBH on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:16 am

Note: This may be possible, but I haven't found mention of it yet. Apologies if I've just missed it.

One of the wonderful things about the Gentoo installation is that you can do 95% of the installation via SSH (the only thing you need to be at the console for is /etc/init.d/sshd start - and there's talk of having this sorted on boot up anyway).

Could this be done with EnGarde? It is, by its very nature, a server OS that probably won't be run on many monitor-equipped boxes, so it'd be great to be able to simply stick the CD in, SSH in and go.
RBH

Re: SSH Install.

Postby ryan on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:48 am

RBH wrote:Note: This may be possible, but I haven't found mention of it yet. Apologies if I've just missed it.

One of the wonderful things about the Gentoo installation is that you can do 95% of the installation via SSH (the only thing you need to be at the console for is /etc/init.d/sshd start - and there's talk of having this sorted on boot up anyway).

Could this be done with EnGarde? It is, by its very nature, a server OS that probably won't be run on many monitor-equipped boxes, so it'd be great to be able to simply stick the CD in, SSH in and go.

Sure. Boot your machine up off the the EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0 CD, take it through the LiveCD configuration (setting it up on an IP address), then select LiveCD when asked. You can now SSH in as root using the root password you set in the first screen.

Once you're in run:

Code: Select all
[root@engarde-livecd ~]# /usr/lib/livecd/einstall /dev/null

And proceed as normal. When the install is done it'll halt the machine and eject the CD. You can now press Enter and proceed with Initial Configuration using WebTool!

-r
ryan
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions